Friday, February 12, 2010

Thoughts on Temporal and Midsummer

Temporal defined: not eternal; of or relating to the physical world.

The title Temporal matches the piece of work perfectly. Temporal opens with drums like heartbeats permeating through my veins and beating on my soul. My eyes pull toward the glowing moon hovering over the gold, glistening natives, who don’t know I’m watching from above the clouds. The sky and the earth meet right before my eyes.

One word: hot. A mix of sizzling red, orange, and yellow light glows from the ground. Beads of sweat drip from their faces and sleek bodies. Their fiery stares and sensual partnering leaves you wanting more.

They swivel like praying mantises waiting to strike. They lunge like primates pressing into the earth. They circle like aborigines in a ritual, tribal dance celebrating life. They intertwine like lovers, passionate for one another.

Their sizzling vigor, impeccable technique, and incredible extensions leave me in awe. The 30-minute piece shifts from place to place. I can’t tell if I’m in Africa, Asia, or the Middle-East, which reflects the multi-cultural dance training of Ma Cong, the choreographer, who somehow merges it all together. It amazes me that they’re wearing pointe shoes with their shifting of weight and off balance moves.

In-tune with physicality and the earthy world, the night takes a sharp transition into a polar-opposite work, Midsummer, which lives in the realm of fantasy.

Unlike Temporal which is very contemporary, Midsummer is the epitome of a classical ballet. Strict gender roles, theatrical elements, and storyline with specific characters make the pieces very different. (It definitely shows off the versatility of our dancers!)

I’m very drawn into the storyline, which is surprising because of my lacking knowledge of Shakespeare. (Sorry British literature enthusiasts and my high school English teacher!)

Puck is making me laugh somewhat embarrassingly loud. His veracity and unrelenting energy reminds me of a 5-year-old boy who drank a gallon of mountain dew. The two couples’ struggles are quite complicated and entertaining. Titiana really shines along with her crew of beautiful fairies in shimmering attire. Oberon's attitude gives me a real sense of his personality.

Overall, the piece was magnificent and brilliantly done and even my date, a non-dancer, wanted to go and see it again. I would highly recommend braving the snow to come see this show. You won’t regret it! I ensure your valentine will enjoy it as well! ;)

Click here to purchase tickets.

Happy Valentine's Day from BalletMet!

No comments:

Post a Comment