Monday, June 4, 2012

Start of Summer!


Summertime may mean lots of sunshine, days by the pool and cool nights catching fireflies, but it doesn’t mean the work has stopped! BalletMet is hard at work preparing for its next season and it looks like it’s going to be a good one! I’m Mackenzie, the new marketing intern for BalletMet this summer, and I’m ecstatic to get to spend my summer working here. A little bit about myself, I’m a Marketing major with a minor in Communications at The University of Toledo, GO ROCKETS! While I go to school up in Toledo, I grew up here in Central Ohio and get to spend my summers back home.

So far in school, it’s seemed that people often equate business students with plain personalities and a rather dull list of interests. I’ll be the first to tell you that is most definitely not true, as seen with my love of dance. I started dancing when I was only two years old, only stopping for a brief hiatus when I moved from Southern California to Ohio in preschool. Throughout the years I dabbled in various styles such as ballet, lyrical, baton, jazz, and even clogging! While I may have thought about quitting from time to time during the teenage years, I don’t regret sticking with it for an instant. I won’t lie, I definitely wasn’t the greatest dancer, nowhere near good enough to get into a company per say, but my dance studio was always my home away from home. I’m sure every dancer can agree with me on this one, that there’s just something magical about performing where you feel outside of yourself. Oftentimes I wish I would have pushed myself a little harder, practiced a little more, and been a little better than I was, but it in the end I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Since dancing was such a huge part of my childhood, it was tremendously hard for me to quit when I moved off to college. With that, I couldn’t imagine a better place to be interning for the summer. Since I’m only home for the summer, however, it unfortunately means I won’t get to see any of the performances during the season. Disappointing, I know. I can only hope to catch a showing of The Nutcracker over Christmas break! Throughout the summer I’ll highlight all of the upcoming shows for the season, so stay tuned!

- Mackenzie J   

No comments:

Post a Comment